1.2% CHRISTIAN POPULATION
8 COMMUNITIES ASSISTED
- Population: 4,453,126 (755 inhabitants per km²)
- Official language: Arabic
- Form of government: Unitary semi-presidential republic (Mahmoud Abbas)
Palestine and the Eastern Christians
- Palestinian territories and Eastern Christians
- Palestine is an integral part of the Holy Land.
- The predominant religion is Sunni Islam, which comprises 97% of the population. In 2013, there were about 60,000 Christians or 1.2%, mostly from Greek Melkite, Orthodox and Latin rites.
- In the Gaza Strip, there are very few Christians, fewer than 3,000, mostly Orthodox.
In March 2013, Monsignor Pascal Gollnisch, Director-General of Œuvre d’Orient, recalled the urgency for Peace, stressing that “If Christians, Jews and Muslims wanted to stand before the foundations of their faith, they would see the evidence of the unsustainable situation of Jerusalem and the urgent need to give a prophetic sign to the service of peace.”
By permission from One World Nations Online